Saturday, June 20, 2009

ODE TO FLORIDA


This is my final weekend living in Florida. Very sad, I know. While I cannot say enough good things about Miami Beach, I also really like the state of Florida. After MB, the second jewel in Florida's crown is Key West. Key West is like a little piece of New England was picked up and moved to the southern most point of the United States. KW is a great vacation town, and like any good vacation town it can be whatever you want it to be. Big party weekend. Check. Quiet little romantic get away. Check.

Of course, I cannot say enough good things about Fort Lauderdale. While I lived in Miami Beach, I always said that from a lifestyle perspective, I would have rather lived in FLL rather than Miami Beach. There is no way I could have handled the hour and half commute each way, to get to work in Coral Gables. However, Fort Lauderdale has a character and charm all it's own. Fort Lauderdale has the largest gay community in Florida. FLL has great clubs and bars with something for everyone. FLL also has some really nice restaurants like Chima & Johnny's. Until the Fillmore came to Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale had the best concerts, at venues with inaccurate names like The Culture Room. Big musical tours would always play the Bank Atlantic Center (which will now have to be renamed due to the company's bankrupcy). And the FLL airport is the best airport in all of Florida. I loved flying out of FLL. I spent no more than 15 minutes in a security line or ticket counter.

Tampa is a beautiful city. I did not explore Tampa nearly as much as I should have, but Tampa Bay is huge and beautiful. My 2 favorite memories of Tampa were visiting the Dali Museum in richer sister city St. Petersburg and the drive over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. The Dali Museum has the largest collection of Salvador Dali's work in the world, outside of Spain. A friend who lives in Tampa calls it TRampa.

Orlando, Orlando. (My friend from Tampa calls it Whor-lando). My worst nightmare and a dream city all in one. As big as Orlando is, Disney is rapidly catching up in size. I have been to the Universal Studios theme park, which was fun. I'm disappointed that I will not be in Orlando for the opening of the Harry Potter section of the Universal theme park when it opens. And I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando, near Universal, which was equally enjoyable. The highlight of Orlando for me was Gay Days. Gay Days was the first week in June and between the pool parties and theme parties, like the water park party, Orlando has the best circuit party in the United States.

Cape Canavarel is great because it is the home of the United States space program. I have watched 2 shuttles launch into space from Cape Canaveral. It is truly a sight to behold to actually see something launch into outer space.

And there have been a lot of other very nice cities in Florida. The richness of Naples, Pensacola has a great circuit party and is the home of the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels, Fort Myers is a classic Florida city, Fort Myers Beach was where I had my first Hooters meal ever, the drive down the Keys is the most beautiful drive in the state, and I spent many an afternoon driving across I75 through the Everglades (which is about as close I have gotten to the Everglades - even after living here for 5 years).

My parents introduced me to Florida when I was very young and we have been coming to Florida for Christmas as a family almost every year. The great part about living in Florida for the last 5 years has been the opportunity to visit so often with my parents. Although in all the years I visited Florida, I never imagined I would ever live here, I'm glad I did.

Florida is the third state in the United States that I have lived in. In a twist known only to myself, I arrived in Florida on June 23, 2004 and will leave the state on Tuesday, June 24, 2009 - almost exactly 5 years. Despite leaving to move back to California, I don't think Florida has seen the last of me.....I think this is where I want to retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment