Thursday, March 26, 2009

DIGITAL LOCKER PHONE & YOUTUBE REVENUE GENERATION SOLVED


Here are 2 technology products that I'm eagerly anticipating: 1. The digital locker/mobile phone combo. Currently, households around the world have any number of boxes hooked into their televisions. You could have a cable or satellite box, a game console (XBox, Wii), and a home theater system, all hooked into your TV. And now the race is on for the "next box" that every home has to have (Apple, Roku). While everyone agrees it has to be small and easy to use, I don't think people want to hook up yet another box to yet another confusing outlet on your TV system and then play with the remote to figure out how to make it work. (apologies for the run on sentence). What I want is the digital locker phone. First of all, we already carry our phones with us everywhere we go. I want to put my digital life (music, movies) up in the cloud and then pull them down through a 4G connection to my cell phone and then stream them over the internet to my television, or my friend's television, or my laptop or at work. Basically, since I take my phone everywhere with me anyway, I want to turn my phone into the settop box. No more taking DVD's over to your friend's house for movie night and forgetting them.

And here's how Google can make money off of the User Generated Content videos on their site. Google needs to create an online software tool directly linking YouTube user content to advertisers. Let me give you an example. The most popular video on my site is a video I took of a cruise ship leaving the Port of Miami. It's a really cool video that has been lumped in with other cruise videos on YouTube. So obviously, the people watching my video are interested in going on a cruise. What I need is to get in touch with Carnvial Cruise Lines (whose ship is featured in my video). As a user, if I want to generate revenue off of my content, I need a tool to communicate to Carnival Cruise lines to post their ad on my video so that anyone who watches the video and then clicks the embedded video ad to go to their site, I should get paid for it. Carnival can tag which videos it wants to put ads on. It can tag videos it thinks are harmful to it's image (such as someone throwing up on one of their cruise ships), and tag million of UGC videos with 1 advertisement covering the whole site. Google needs to come up with an online software tool to connect users with advertisers. Companies need a digital video person to review and make the selections, and the user gets a small amount of ad revenue. Everybody wins. Can you image the advertising Disney would get for it's theme parks if it tagged every Disney UGC video on YouTube? And don't forget, YouTube gives you worldwide coverage.

(Click the Google Image on the right, it's quite funny)

UPDATE - Apparently Disney thinks I have the right idea:

No comments:

Post a Comment