Tuesday, March 31, 2009

THE MORNING SWIMS ARE BACK!


My favorite daily ritual is the my morning swim.  I like the routine I'm in now and would like to see if I can keep it consistent this summer.  I'm up at 6AM, make coffee in my new Nespresso maker, and read email and the news online.  Then I put on my swimsuit, grab my keys and towel, and head downstairs to the lobby of my building, walk down Alton Road, past the beautiful South Pointe Park and Continuum 2 to the southern most beach of South Beach.  I say a little prayer and then swim around underwater in the ocean for about 10 minutes.  Then I go to the outdoor shower and shower off with fresh water, walk back to my condo, get my mail, and then upstairs to make my morning protein fruit shake.  I then shower with the IPod on, get dressed, lock up my place, head down to the garage, get in my Mercedes, put the hardtop convertible top down, put on my Dita sunglasses and take the scenic MacArthur Causeway to work.

I only do the morning swims April -mid November (8 months out of the year).  I actually go through a week's depression and withdrawl when I stop in mid-November because both the air and the water are too cold.  I do go in the ocean at other times of the year.  I was in Biscayne Bay this January, and I go in the water at least once when I go to the beach on the weekends.  But what I really miss is the morning swims, seeing all the dogs and other "early birds" are up to.  The morning swims are really my time to reflect, look at the big picture, think, ponder, and strategize.  It's really the most relaxing time I have all day until I watch TV at night and do some reading in bed.

Now if that sounds like a page taken from Bret Easton Ellis' "American Psycho", it's not.  That's what I do almost every morning (weather permitting) Monday - Friday.  To say that I lead a very charmed, very blessed life is an understatement.  I am very thankful for the life that I lead.


No comments:

Post a Comment