Monday, April 12, 2010

I'LL MISS YOU GRANDPA


Sadly today, my grandfather passed away. At 86 years old, he was born in 1921. My grandfather was your typical hard working son of an immigrant who literally help build the United States of America on the blood and sweat on the back of his entire generation.

Like many men in the early days of the 20th century, my grandfather worked 2 full time jobs for most of his life to raise his family of 6 children. My grandfather worked for the Department of Water & Power for the City of Boston and for General Dynamics building military ships for the Navy (Boston has always been a port city and the one of the birthplaces of the U.S. Navy). My grandfather was a very smart man, but he support his family through hard, grueling manual labor. Like every generation, he didn't want his children to go through their lives performing hard manual labor like he did. And in those days, the only ticket out of labor was the dream of every American - a college education. A college education was a direct road out the middle class and into the upper class of society. My grandfather basically handed my grandmother the task of making sure her children got all A's throughout ones entire academic career. A "B" or a "C" in any subject was absolutely unacceptable. And not just for 1 child, all 6 children "A's" in every subject.

My grandfather and his generation believed in the sanctity of marriage. My grandfather met my grandmother, they got married and they were expected to, and did stay married and together for over 60 years.

I always knew him as my Grandpa. Nana was the one I always communicated with, but Grandpa was always there, listening, watching, and reading the Boston Herald. What's so funny is that all of the women who married into our family were intimidated by him. To me, since I was born into this family, so I always knew Grandpa as Grandpa. I was never intimidated by him, and I was too young to understand why anyone else would be. But he was a fearsome man who's approval you wanted. And everybody loved Grandpa.

I have a lot of great memories of my grandfather from when I was a kid. I remember him singing at the top of his voice in Italian to the songs on the radio driving around Boston. I remember him making me eggs and bacon for breakfast when I would come over to visit. I was his first grandchild, so I always had a special place in his heart. I remember him attending a special mass when I was an alter boy for the Archbishop in Amesbury at Sacred Heart Church. I remember him coming to both my high school and college graduations. I remember him at my First Communion and my Confirmation. I know he was there for my baptism. My Grandpa was there for me at all the important moments in my life.

I'm so happy that I got to see him one last time last weekend for Easter. I love and respect him so much. A lot of the gifts and pleasures of the life I get to lead are built on the back of the foundation and values he laid out for his family. He determined the high standards and work ethic that leads us, the Puopolo family, to succeed today.

There are 2 favorite stories about my Grandpa. The first one happened last Wednesday when my Dad & Mom were staying overnight at my grandparents house. My Dad told me the story about how he was there and my Dad was helping my grandfather into his chair and he looked at my Dad and said, in one of his lucid moments, "I love you." My Dad was very touched by what his father had said to him and what's so great is that moment is a memory that my Dad will always treasure.

The second story was happening during one of the famous Puopolo family Christmas parties when we were all in Boston and would get together to open family Christmas presents on Christmas night. This was an especially good time for me because I would get both my Christmas and birthday presents on the same night, which was always a bonus for me. (Everyone says having your birthday and Christmas so close together sucks, but come on - double presents? Sweet!) The family started coming into our Uncle Stevie's house slowly as everyone was travelling in from different parts of the state to all come together as a family for Christmas. While many of us were sitting around the table waiting someone asked when our Uncle Joey would show up. And without putting down his Boston Herald, Grandpa said, "He'll be here. Just like death and taxes." It was just so funny that this man of very few words actually made a joke. We laughed around the dining room table that night before enjoying another Christmas together.

I will miss my Grandpa. He was a great man. God Bless you Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment