Thursday, April 8, 2010

IS PENMANSHIP DEAD?


Is writing about to go the way of the cassette tape? I imagine if I had a child today, he would be using an IPad from a very young age, maybe at age 3 or 4 playing with games, music, interactivity and no internet connection. At 7 or 8 I would likely give Little Michael III his first smartphone. And really, almost everything he learned from a very young age would be done on a computer.

Would I ever need to teach him how to write or should I just start him off learning exclusively how to type. It's 2010, in 15 years, when he would be a sophomore in high school, will he ever be writing anything? Notes will be on laptops or IPads. Projects done entirely on computers, electronic grading of homework.....

If you had a child today, would you teach them how to physically write? Is a child considered illiterate if they have a perfect understand and can type anything in English (incredibly fast I would think), sentence structure, grammar, everything, but he would be considered illiterate because he doesn't know penmanship?

No comments:

Post a Comment