Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MIAMI BEACH HAS CHANGED SO MUCH IN 6 MONTHS!


I have only been away from Miami Beach for 6 months and I had completely forgotten how quickly the city changes. And all good changes too. Fifth & Alton opened with a Publix supermarket, Best Buy, Ross Dress for Less, Staples and a TJ Maxx. While these are not the best stores, if I was still living in Miami Beach, this would be my neighborhood Publix. Michigan Avenue has been completed redone with new parking. The MacArthur Causeway has been completely repaved. The beginning of Lincoln Road at Alton Road where the Regal 18 movie theater is has been completely redone and re landscaped with great effect, and for the better. There's a new clothing shop on Lincoln Road that is generating a lot of publicity for its sewing machine themed installation is receiving rave reviews. The lifeguard house on Ocean Drive and 10th looks amazing. The W Hotel finally opened, and that's where I want to stay the next time I get a hotel in Miami Beach.

My entire return trip to Miami Beach was great. The first 2 days it was in the 80's and I loved lying on the beach listening to the waves gently crashing. I ate at some of my favorite restaurants that I missed like Fogo de Chao and Shoji Sushi. The nightlife hasn't changed at all, it's still the same fast paced, drunken fun that it always was. It was so nice to see all of my old friends and hear how well everyone was doing. I walked around South Pointe Park, which is the second most beautiful part of my neighborhood, the first being the beach and the Atlantic Ocean.

To me, Miami Beach is like a 5 star hotel. It's a Ritz Carlton experience, whereas LA.....LA is like a 4 star hotel, like a Hyatt on a high floor. But in terms of sheer beauty, Miami Beach is a gorgeous city. LA was definitely the right move for my career, but keeping my condo in Miami Beach is a sound investment in a city I love and was proud to call my home for 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment