Tuesday, September 15, 2009

HOW LA BECAME MY WALKABLE NEIGHBORHOOD


Yesterday at work, a colleague of mine asked me a different take on a very standard question. (Lawyers always asked the most interesting questions). He asked me what was different about living in LA now versus the last time I lived here. The biggest difference is that I've successfully turned LA into my walkable neighborhood.

The last time I lived in LA, I lived up on Beverly Glen Blvd. for 5 years. If I wanted to do anything from that apartment, I had to get in the car to do it. If I needed milk, wanted to see a movie, go out clubbing, shopping, grab a meal at a restaurant.....I had to get in the car, drive, park, and drive back. That's very typical in LA, but I definitely wanted something different this time around.

I chose my apartment based not only on its amenities, but also because of its extreme walkability. The Grove and Farmer's Market are right around the corner: http://www.thegrovela.com/ The Grove is mini-city unto itself. Great restaurants, great shopping, and a big 14 screen cinema. (The best kept secret about The Grove is walking by the Abercrombie store and seeing the hot, shirtless model standing in the doorway. It's like a little extra amenities that they didn't tell me about when I moved in). I have 4 major grocery stores (2 Ralphs, 1 Whole Foods, and 1 organic grocery store on the street level of my apartment - Erewon: http://www.erewhonmarket.com/) within a 5 block radius. I get my haircut within walking distance on Beverly. Another great part of my new walkable neighborhood is the Farmer's Market: http://www.farmersmarketla.com/ Some of the best food in LA is at the FM.

There are a lot of good stand alone restaurants that are all walking distance. I refuse to drink and drive, so the West Hollywood bars I like are either a $10 cab ride or a 45 minute walk away and back. And now that I've been walking, I've been seeing a lot more of the city. I save money on gas, walk more, which is good cardio, and I get to listen to my IPhone music while I walk. Pan Pacific Park is across the street from my apartment building. My bank/ATM is a block and a half away, and the post office is right across the street.

My friend Tom has had this figured out for years. His entire life is all within a 15 minute drive. Very convenient. If you're going to live in LA, try to get a walkable neighborhood. It makes the what can be the exasperating experience of living in a whole lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment