Thursday, December 17, 2009

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?


As I was walking the floor of the LA Auto Show last weekend, probably the slickest and most unique car that I saw was the 2010 Lexus LFA. The Lexus LFA is a very stylized car for Toyota's luxury brand and the car is definitely ultra luxury, and here's why - it cost $375,000!!! WTF?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car. Apparently Toyota had it in development for 6 years and at $375,000, I cannot see how Toyota will make a profit on the car. The LFA is powered by a 4.8L V10 engine that dishes out 552 bhp. The much power allows the car to hit 62 mph from a standstill in 3.7 seconds and go all the way to 202 mph. (From Googling, I'm not this much of a car freak). But come on, $375,000!!!

A car is depreciating asset. I cannot imagine what the depreciation is on a $375,000 Lexus, but I imagine it's pretty steep. Car payment? Auto Insurance? They must be through the roof. And on top of that think of the constant worrying. Should I park it on the street? Do I dare give it to the valet? Should I use that car wash? Who's going to steal it?

And really, $375,000 is money better spent on a house, not spent on a car. If I had that kind of money, you can be sure I wouldn't be spending it on a Lexus. I would definitely buy a Bentley convertible, or a Ferrari or a top of the line Barbus Mercedes, but definitely not on a Lexus.


No comments:

Post a Comment