Sunday, December 20, 2009

I'M EXCITED TO GO BACK TO FLORIDA!?!?!?


I know, I know, I can't believe what I'm typing either, but it's true. I'm really looking forward to spending 2 weeks in Florida.

The first week will be Christmas with my family. And what's Santa bringing down the non-functional chimney this year? Turns out its a .45 or a .38! Gee, just what I always wanted! That's right boys and girls, I'm going to the gun range for Christmas! Sometime over the Christmas holidays, my parents and I are having a family outing to shoot real guns at a real gun range. Awesome! My parents (and all of their friends) have decided that the economy is so bad that people will inevitably turn to home invasions to make their money and my parents and the rest of the baby boomers are armed and ready for them! You gotta love Tea Party Republicans. And I'll have to keep a count of how many broadside hits I take because of "my" President. ("Well, you voted him.")

Seriously, it will be nice to spend a week with my parents, go to Hooter's for dinner, start working on my tan, catch up with them, discuss real estate options, get some home cooked meals, take the motorboat out on the bay and the Gulf of Mexico, watch a ton of movies in the cinema so I'm fully caught up by the time I get back to LA., and get reacquainted with as much of real America as I can possibly take.

I'm also really excited to return to Miami for New Year's weekend. Although I've only been gone for 6 months, I know a lot has changed. There are new clubs, new bars, new restaurants and new shopping centers that have opened up. I am looking forward to seeing what the new tenant has done with my condo. I want to see how the recession is effecting Miami. I'm looking forward to seeing my former co-workers at Warner Bros. Miami and catching up with old friends. I can't wait to spend as much as possible on the beach, get some sun, and listen to the waves crashing in the background. It may be too cold to go in the ocean, but maybe I'll jump in at least once.

I really miss Miami. It's a beautiful city filled with party people and I had a great life there. Going back as a tourist for the first time will be a bit odd. But at least I will know my way around. And New Year's in Miami is always a festive time of year. Nearly every hotel is sold out for the weekend. And I can't wait to go shopping. Not only will I get to hit the outlet malls with massively discounted after Christmas sales, but the 7% sales tax will be so much better than the 10% sales tax in California. I need new suits, new work shoes, new work shirts and some jeans. The weather looks to be in the 80's, so hopefully I'll be able to come back to LA with a tan. Moving back to LA was definitely the right career move. And keeping the condo in Miami is definitely the right lifestyle choice. I would gladly make Miami one of the cities I either teach or retire in.

Even though I was born, raised and educated in Massachusetts, between my parents on the west coast and my condo (the only home I owe), on the east coast, Florida will feel like going home again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment